I chose the story “Araby” by James Joyce. It wasn’t difficult to narrow it down to about 11 kernels. The passage-building wasn’t difficult, but it wasn’t exactly easy either. Because some of the kernels weren’t actually in-depth scenes, I had to add in my own details to flourish out it a bit. Some of them were also just really sort sections split into several parts, so I had to debate a lot on how long I would spend on those parts. But this wasn’t too hard once I figured out how I wanted it all to go. Publishing it all was a bit of a process because I did not know how Cyberduck worked, but once I learned how, it was all very easy.
The most difficult part of this was coding. There are some issues I had with the color of the text over the images, since it could be sort of difficult to see, and I’m hoping it’s still legible. I did not want to have to resort to using a color that I don’t feel fits the tone/mood of the story. Another major issue I have is audio. I do have one piece of audio inserted into my coding, but for some reason it will not play at all. I have it in the correct folder, and as far as I can tell the coding is correct.
I tried doing other ways to insert the audio, but none would work. If it works in any other browser, please let me know, because it’s not working on my PC where I use Chrome. This is the only issue that I have had that I’m still not able to solve.
Other than that, everything has been easy and relatively straightforward.
I will be focusing on this passage:
I chose to not use the image as the background as it is quite a messy image, and it would be difficult to read the text over it. This is one of the most pivotal parts of the story as this is where the main character decides to leave or stay. It was important to keep in how the young lady did not want to be assisting him that late at night. I gave two options: the original “No, thank you” and my alternate path “Yes, please.” However, at this point the “Yes, please” option will still eventually lead back to the original ending, no matter what. While there is a choice being made in this particular part, I wanted the revelation that the main character has at the end to be the same.
Breaking down the narrative into different kernels was an interesting process. It was interesting see and reflect on what really was essential to the story. Figuring out whether there were alternative choices was really interesting too. The main character made a lot of intentional choices, and while they might not have been the best, I think his infatuation speaks a lot about his age and the realities he must realize in the world.
I’m not too unfamiliar with coding as I learned other coding languages before. Harlowe was pretty easy to follow and figure out, especially with the help of the internet. It was fun to learn overall. Although I’m still unsure why my audio wouldn’t play, but it might just be something small that I’m missing, and I’m sure I can figure it out eventually.
Recreating a story was really fun. Because this is such a different way to recreate a story, it was interesting being on the side of actually creating it rather than just going through it. It gave a new perspective to the creation of stories.
Overall, this whole product was really enjoyable. It wasn’t overly difficult and it allowed me to really focus in on what would be considered “important” to a story. This was was an interesting way to analyze literature, because it forces you to consider just how stories are made and the importance of order and how narratives are purposefully structured. I think this was a fun way to end the semester.